A must read. Looks like I have some work to do.
A must read. Looks like I have some work to do.
I just finished Explorers of the Infinite: The Secret Spiritual Lives of Extreme Athletes-and What They Reveal About Near-Death Experiences, Psychic Communication, and Touching the Beyond by Maria Coffey.
This book went into great detail about climbers, kayakers, mountaineers, and other adventure seekers. My brother gave it to me a while back and I just got around to reading it. There were stories of visions coming to someone the night before climbing K2 because the person having a dream would end up dying in an avalanche. His friend, the doctor would be on the search team for him. What happened? An avalanche occurred and the doctor was out looking for his friend. There were stories of absolute power and feeling calm while kayaking down the Salmon River in Idaho and finding God. Other of spirits coming to visit their loved one who was at home, and moments later the loved one found out her husband had been lost in a river.
This got me thinking about my some of my adventures. Granted, mine are not climbing up a frozen waterfall and looking to see a huge chunk of ice falling my way. My adventures deal with being on the water. Whether its the lake, ocean or river I feel at peace. In 2007 I took a trip out to Utah and Wyoming with the National Outdoor Leadership School. This school was brought to my attention from my brother. It was a month trip out west kayaking and rock climbing. During the river section in Utah, I fell in love with everything about kayaking and rafting. I never realized how much control the river has, and that is the same with the ocean. I learned all about currents and the different layers of the river. I won’t bore you with a hydrology lesson today. It was towards the end of the river section and I was planning the next day out since I was trip leader along with two others. One was not participating so the guy and I planned it all out. The sun was setting and dinner was over. It was reflection time. I wrote about the days adventure and probably something to do with the groover (potty), and then I felt like someone was with me. The thing was, there was no one. I climbed some rocks and went a little higher. The presence was still there. I felt calm and at ease. I was freaking out a little bit about the next day and kayaking down some class III rapids. That didn’t matter. Everything was going to be alright. At that moment I knew it was God. I didn’t hear a voice telling me it was, I just knew it. After what felt like an eternity, I looked up and saw this.
Relaxation time! I worked for two hours today, but I still made some money. Woo! I went to the pool for most of the afternoon and soaked up the sun. I finished a book, which I will talk about in another post, checked some more off of my list of 101, which I will also talk about later, and got to talk to a good friend this evening! This is really sad, but I have completely lost my train of thought for this post. I blame the commercials showing me food that I cannot eat. Dad gets in town on Saturday and we are going fly fishing Sunday morning at the crack of dawn. Fun? I sure hope so.
I know it’s a tacky thing to take a song title as a blog post title, but the creative juices are not flowing tonight. Work was busy for a Tuesday, but I am not complaining 75 bucks in the vacation fund. $36 more to go before I reach my goal!
So I completed number 43 on my list of 101 in 1001 yesterday. I went on a date. We saw Prometheus in 3D. I was not impressed. For one, I don’t like all that science fiction stuff. It was 3D which means stuff flying in my face and me jumping out of my seat. That didn’t happen, but it was nasty and bloody and I didn’t like it one bit. The ending was horrible. We just sat there and both said thats it? Strange. I also saw the preview for the Lincoln and zombie or vampire movie. Seriously? I just want to see it for the heck of it and try to figure out how on earth they came up with the idea! It was an overall good Monday. I went for a 10 mile bike ride since the whole trying to run thing isn’t going to work out. Cue the stupid rheumatoid arthritis saying now.
Another reason why I liked yesterday, I got a graduate assistant spot! More info to come once I am presented with it. With that being said, I turned in my notice at work tonight. I also met Billy Currington at store in downtown Savannah. He’s really nice and talkative. He was also jealous that I go to SCAD. Well, thats it for today. Hopefully I won’t go crazy from all these bug bites!
I have been slacking on taking pictures. I apologize. I completed two things from my 101 in 1001 list. Number 9, buy a Suunto GPS watch. First off, these things are expensive, but I found the exact color and style on one of the discount outdoors sites I belong to and just bough that little sucker up.
Number 13 on the list, go to a meet up.com meeting. I attend one Thursday night at Savannah Climbing CoOp. It is a new place that will have only bouldering in the gym. Great way to get in shape. The only downside is the membership is going to be expensive. Boo. I was also the only girl at the meeting. Something I am getting used to with doing adventurous things. Oh well.
Friday night I worked. Some guy left me his number. We chatted. Came to pick me up last night for date, and lets just say he didn’t get any farther than the entry way. Some guys are just jerks. Okay, most guys. Saturday I worked all day, as usual, but I did make a decent amount of money which is going towards my August vacation. Yay! I have to decide if I want to keep working during the school year, and that will all come down to me finding out Monday if I get the GA spot that I applied for. We will see what happens! On the agenda for today is go to the lake with Emily and relax and swim. I’ve got to get my mind out of the state its in, which is not a happy place. I was told you can see it in my eyes that I am not happy here. Cool.
“I’m headed out west with my headphones on
Boarded a flight with a song in the back of my soul
That no one knows”
As many of you know, I love to go on adventures. After my mom came and visited last week, I got a phone call from her with her worry voice. We know how moms are. She’s worried that I’m not happy here in Savannah. I guess she is right to a degree. I don’t see the charm that everyone talks about or the draw. This could have something to do with living in the hood for a moment. So if anyone else that reads this and is dying to know, I am NOT moving. I have been presented with this great opportunity at a great program. The program is awesome, the city not so much.
Anyways to fix the state of mind I am in, I am taking a trip to Sun Valley, Idaho. I really wanted to go to Kodiak, Alaska, but the flights were costly and mom basically said no to going by myself. Being that I have been to Sun Valley a few times she said I could go alone as long as I did not mountain bike. What can I say, I tend to injure myself.
There is so much to do there. Bike paths that lead you to mountains and great little places to eat. Take a little drive up to Stanley, Idaho to do some whitewater rafting and kayaking on the Salmon River. In the same area why not do a little rock climbing?
They have fly fishing, horseback riding, and tons of other activities. One that I am looking very forward to is a bike ride to Ernest Hemingway’s memorial. I remember doing this as a kid every year and always reflecting on this at the beautiful site.
I have two months to get every planned out, and I seriously cannot wait! Time to hop on that bike…..
I feel like this is a mini bucket list. It is a list of 101 things that I am going to do in 1001 days.
The start day is today. June 14, 2012. This will end on March 12, 2015. It’s kinda crazy to think about what all can happen in this amount of time. I’ll be out of school and I’ll hopefully have a job, but there is also little things on this list. Instead of talking about it, I’ll just lay it all out for you.
1. Blog regularly
2. Do a volunteer project with Historic Savannah Foundation
3. Go on an adventure, big or small, every month (0/22)
4. Complete a couch to 5k training program
5. Exercise and stick with it
6. Walk/run a 5k
7. Walk/run a half
8. Get back to a size 4/6
9. Buy Suunto gps watch – 6.14.12
10. Stay debt free
11. Start rock climbing again
12. Make my bed everyday for a month (0/31)
13. Go to a meetup.com meeting
14. Join a yoga class
15. Go out west
16. Climb a fourteener in Colorado
17. Attend a spin class
18. Go line dancing
19. Have a gluten, dairy, and egg free Thanksgiving
20. Let my hair grow and do not chop it off
21. Two weeks of no Facebook
22. Stay caught up on classwork
23. Find a church
24. Go camping
25. Go one month without buying things I don’t need
26. Go kayaking at least once a month, weather permitting (0/22)
27. Give up soft drinks
28. Take a random road trip
29. Re-read Catcher in the Rye
30. Every item that I complete, I will put $1 in a savings account (0/101)
31. Don’t go out to eat for one month (0/31)
32. Graduate with Honors with my MFA
33. Go to state I have never been to
34. Give up sweet tea for one month (0/31)
35. Participate in the Color Run
36. Try 10 new restaurants
37. Play mini golf
38. Go snow skiing
39. Go a day with no phone
40. Read 50 new books (0/50)
41. Go to the dog park everyday for a week (o/7)
42. Kiss in the rain
43. Go on a date
44. Tie a bad memory in a balloon and let it go
45. Write down my thoughts more
46. Learn to stand up paddle board
47. Go to a music festival
48. Go geocaching
49. Play the banjo
50. Go fly fishing
51. Learn to surf
52. Save up $1,000 for a vacation
53. Only drink water for two weeks (0/14)
54. Find a job
55. Move to another state
56. Wear my glasses for one week (0/7)
57. Go to Vegas
58. Vote in 2012
59. Go to 10 different art shows (0/10)
60. Go to a drive in movie
61. Learn how to use photoshop
62. Visit the home of Robert E. Lee
63. Don’t use a flat iron on my hair for one month (0/31)
64. Help preserve history
65. Get a professional massage
66. Eat fruit everyday for one month (0/31)
67. Get a post card from everyplace I visit
68. Stop using/buying plastic water bottles, and use reusable ones
69. Learn to drive a stick shift
70. Picnic in the park
71. Watch the movies on 100 Greatest Film list
72. Watch the Wonder Years from start to finish on Netflix
73. Visit a Civil War site that I haven’t been to
74. Share my story about Jesus
75. Go to a MLB game
76. Go ice skating
77. Go mountain biking
78. Swim everyday for a week (0/7)
79. Donate clothes to Goodwill
80. Sing karaoke
81. Buy a random person coffee
82. Shuck oysters
83. Bike to the bank for one month (0/31)
84. Go to a concert without planning
85. Ride a horse
86. Learn how to slack line
87. Leave a note in a random book
88. Drink moonshine
89. Skinny dip
90. Donate change to a charity after a month
91. Watch every event in the summer ’12 Olympics
92. Go to a professional soccer match
93. Hug a random person
94. Leave an inspirational post-it in a random place
95. Learn how to braid my hair
96. Swim in a tide pool
97. Attend an outdoors extreme sporting event
98. Visit a National Park
99. Go rafting
100. Stop chewing gum for one month (0/31)
101. Write a letter to myself to read at the end of this.